Sweet Pickle Relish
You can also make these into bread and butter chip pickles. Just leave the cucumbers and onions in thin slices instead of chopping and dicing them. These are really good on sandwiches.
Servings: 1 quart
- ¼ teaspoon Veggie Starter Culture – or 1/4 cup kefir whey
- 3 cups Pickling cucumbers – chopped or diced
- ½ cup sliced onions – chopped and diced
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- ½ red pepper – chopped and diced
- 1½ teaspoons Celtic Sea Salt
- 1 tablespoon whole celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- If using the starter culture, place 1⁄2 cup of water in a glass measuring cup, add the culture, and stir until dissolved. Let the mixture sit while you prepare the vegetables (anywhere between 5 and 15 minutes). If using kefir whey, add it when the recipe calls for culture in step 3.
- Combine remaining ingredients (and whey, if using) and pour the liquid over cucumbers, adding more water if necessary to cover.
- Keep the top of the liquid one inch below the top of the jar.
- Let the sealed jar sit on your counter for three days and then place it in the refrigerator.
- These will last at least a year in your fridge.