Shelley’s Cultured Veggies – The Original Recipe
This is a special recipe made by my friend Shelly. It's so delicious and one of my husband's favorite recipes. It has a wonderful story connected to it and you can find that here. My Favorite Cultured Vegetable Recipe. You don't have to add these special minerals and prebiotics in this recipe; if you don't include them, it will still taste great. Although it does give it a flavor that is irresistible! The microbes that ferment these veggies love minerals and prebiotics, and so does your body. They will make your veggies extra special when you add them. When microbes are happy, you can see them in the jar. I call it bubbles.
Servings: 1 gallon
- 1 package Cutting Edge Cultures – or you can use ½ cup kefir whey
- 1 cup Water – to mix starter culture
- 1 head cabbage – green or purple
- 6 whole carrot
- 6 kale leaves – chopped. Substitute spinach leaves
- ½ white onion
- ½ green apple
- 1 clove garlic – minced (add more if you like garlic)
- 1 tablespoon Celtic Sea Salt – makes veggies more crunchy
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes – or chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons Bragg Organic Sea Kelp Delight Seasoning
- Water – Filtered or purified
Every ingredient with a link was selected by me to make it easier for you. I may receive a small affiliate commission if you buy something through my links. Thank you! ❤️
- If using the starter culture, stir together the culture and water. Let the mixture sit while you prepare the ingredients—around 10 minutes. If using kefir whey, add it when the recipe calls for culture.
- Shred the cabbage, carrots, onion, and green apple.
- Assemble veggies into a large bowl and add garlic, salt, and seasonings. (You may need a couple of bowls depending on how large of a batch you are making).
- Pack the shredded veggie mixture into half-gallon jars or the equivalent of four quart-size containers. You can use glass or ceramic containers that can be securely sealed.
- Add Cutting Edge Culture, or kefir whey, and cover with water, leaving an inch or two at the top.
Adding Extra Minerals and Prebiotics.
- Twist open the Ancient Earth mineral capsules and The Ocean Plant Extra capsules and sprinkle the contents on the veggies. Discard empty capsules.
- Add a scoop of Prebio Plus to the jar and mix contents with a spoon and seal jar with a lid.
- Check the vegetables every day to make sure they are fully submerged in the water. If they have risen above the water, simply push them down so they are fully covered by the water. If any white spots formed because the veggies rose above the water, do not worry. Remember, this isn’t harmful. Just scoop out the vegetables that have the white spots on them and push the rest back under the water.
- Seal the container and let it sit on your kitchen counter, out of direct sunlight, for 6 days. After 6 days, place the container in the refrigerator.
Storage note: This kraut can be kept in a covered airtight jar in the refrigerator for up to nine months.