Every ingredient with a link was selected by me to make it easier for you. I may receive a small affiliate commission if you buy something through my links. Thank you! ❤️
- If using the starter culture, stir together the culture and water. Let the mixture sit while you prepare the ingredients—around 10 minutes. If using kefir whey, add it when the recipe calls for culture.
- Remove the outer leaves of the cabbage.
- Finely shred the cabbage using a food processor or a hand shredder.
- Slice the apple into thin slices (or you can chop or shred the apple).
- Add the shredded apples to the cabbage and add salt. Toss to combine.
- Place the lemon slices around the jar and then add the cabbage mixture to keep the pieces in place. You may only want to add two slices at a time and tip the jar on its side and fill with shredded cabbage then rotate and add more lemon slices and cabbage until the jar is full but leaving two inches at the top for expansion.
- Add the Cutting Edge Cultures or kefir whey and cover with water, leaving two inches at the top.
- Seal the container and let it sit on your kitchen counter, out of direct sunlight, for 6 days. After 6 days, place in the refrigerator. They are ready to eat after 6 days but taste better as they ferment in the fridge.
- Check the vegetables every day to make sure they are fully submerged in the water. If they have risen above the water, simply push them down so they are fully covered by the water. If any white spots formed because the veggies rose above the water, do not worry. Remember, this isn’t harmful. Just scoop out the vegetables that have the white spots on them and push the rest back under the water.