Summer Cultured Squash
- 1/4 teaspoon Cutting Edge Cultures – or 1/2 cup kefir whey
- 1 cup Water spring or filtered with minerals – to mix with starter culture
- 2 pounds yellow squash – cut in thin rounds
- 1 small onion – chopped into thin slices
- 2 cups honey – yes, two cups!
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons Celtic Sea Salt
- 2 cups filtered or spring water with minerals – you will add more later
- 1 Half Gallon Jar with Airlock – optional
Every ingredient with a link was selected by me to make it easier for you. I may receive a small affiliate commission if you buy something through my links. Thank you! ❤️
- If using the starter culture, stir together the culture and water. Let the mixture sit while you prepare the ingredients—around 10 minutes. If using kefir whey, add it when the recipe calls for culture.
- Place squash and onion slices in 2 quart jars.
- Place other ingredients h(oney, seasonings and salt) in a bowl with a spout for easy pouring.
- Pour mixture into jars making sure that each jar gets equal amounts of ingredients. (Some of the seeds fall to the bottom.)
- Add the Cutting Edge Culture or kefir whey and cover with water, leaving an inch or two at the top.
- Seal the container and let it sit on your kitchen counter, out of direct sunlight, for 3 days. After 3 days, place the container in the refrigerator.
- Check the vegetables every day to make sure they are fully submerged in the water. If they have risen above the water, simply push them down so they are fully covered by the water. If any white spots formed because the veggies rose above the water, do not worry. Remember, this isn’t harmful. Just scoop out the vegetables that have the white spots on them and push the rest back under the water.