Purple Ginger Kraut
Every ingredient with a link was selected by me to make it easier for you. I may receive a small affiliate commission if you buy something through my links. Thank you! ❤️
- If using the starter culture, stir together the culture and 1/4 cup of water. Let the mixture sit while you prepare the ingredients—around 10 minutes. If using kefir whey, add it when the recipe calls for culture.
- Remove outer leaves of cabbage. Cut out the core on the cabbage.
- Shred cabbage into desired length. You can use a food processor or by hand. You can chop it finely or in thicker pieces it’s up to you!
- Add your cabbage to a large bowl and add salt and ginger then toss with cabbage to combine evenly.
- Pack cabbage into a quart canning jar. Make sure you save two inches at the top of the jar for the cabbage to expand.
- Add the Cutting Edge Cultures or kefir whey to the jar.
- Fill the jar with water. Leave 2 to 3 inches at the top of the jar for kraut to expand.
- Place secure lids or airlocks on jars. Set in a cool place, out of sunlight for 6 to 7 days. After 6 days taste them and if they’re tart tasting they’re ready, and you can eat them or place them in the refrigerator.