Every ingredient with a link was selected by me to make it easier for you. I may receive a small affiliate commission if you buy something through my links. Thank you! ❤️
- If using the starter culture, stir together the culture and water. Let the mixture sit while you prepare the other ingredients—around 10 minutes
- Remove and discard the outer leaves of the cabbage. Finely shred the cabbage and apple using a food processor or a hand shredder and add the ginger. Place the mixture in a bowl
- Add the salt to the cabbage and apple and set the mixture aside.
- Line the inside of the jar with lemon slices, then pack the cabbage and apple into the middle of the jar. Your jar should only be half full of vegetables.
- Add the starter culture or the whey and then fill the jar with filtered water, leaving 2 to 3 inches of headspace to let the cabbage mixture bubble and expand as it ferments. You’ll have a jar half full of vegetables and half full of the water that will turn into gut juice.
- Seal the container and let it sit on your kitchen counter, out of direct sunlight, for 6 days.
- Check the kraut every day to make sure it is fully submerged. If it has risen above the water, simply push it down so it is fully covered again. If white spots of yeast have formed on any unsubmerged pieces, do not worry. Remember, this isn’t harmful. Just scoop out the yeast and the kraut it’s on and push the rest back under the water.
- When the kraut is done fermenting, place it in the refrigerator.