Golden Beet Sauerkraut
- 1 package Cutting Edge Cultures – or you can use 1/2 cup kefir whey
- 1 cup Water spring or filtered with minerals – to mix the starter culture
- 3 – 4 golden beets – I love these they taste like sunshine
- 1 head cabbage – purple or green
- ½ apple
- 1 inch ginger – peeled and shredded
- 1 tablespoon Celtic Sea Salt
Every ingredient with a link was selected by me to make it easier for you. I may receive a small affiliate commission if you buy something through my links. Thank you! ❤️
- If using the starter culture, stir together the culture and water. Let the mixture sit while you prepare the ingredients—around 10 minutes. If using kefir whey, add it when the recipe calls for culture.
- Shred the beets, cabbage, apple, and ginger, and assemble them into a large bowl. (you may need a couple of bowls depending on how large of a batch you are making).
- Add the salt to vegetables and toss to combine.
- Place the vegetables in 2 ½ gallon jars leaving 2 inches of headroom at the top for expansion.
- Add Cutting Edge Culture or kefir whey evenly to both jars and cover with water, leaving an inch or two at the top. Your mixture will expand during fermentation.
- Seal the containers and let it sit on your kitchen counter, out of direct sunlight, for 6 days, then place in the fridge.
- Check the vegetables every day to make sure they are fully submerged in the water. If they have risen above the water, simply push them down so they are fully covered by the water.