Fruity Cinnamon Kraut
- ⅛ teaspoon Cutting Edge Cultures – or 2 tablespoons kefir whey
- 1 cup Water spring or filtered with minerals – to mix the starter culture
- 3¾ cups cabbage – shredded or chopped into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon Celtic Sea Salt
- ½ apple
- ½ orange – juiced
- 1 cup fruit – (blackberries, blueberries, grapes, etc) *Optional*
- 1 stick cinnamon
- extra filtered or spring water with minerals – spring water is fine too
Every ingredient with a link was selected by me to make it easier for you. I may receive a small affiliate commission if you buy something through my links. Thank you! ❤️
- If using the starter culture, stir together the culture and water. Let the mixture sit while you prepare the ingredients—around 10 minutes. If using kefir whey, add it when the recipe calls for culture.
- Remove the outer leaves of cabbage.
- Finely shred the cabbage and apple using a food processor or a hand shredder.
- Juice the orange and set aside.
- Mix the salt with cabbage and apples, add extra fruit and cinnamon stick in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- Pack the cabbage, apples, and extra fruit into the jar.
- Add the orange juice and Cutting Edge Culture (or kefir whey) and cover with water, leaving an inch or two at the top
- Seal the container and let it sit on your kitchen counter, out of direct sunlight, for 6 days. After 6 days, place the container in the refrigerator.
- Check the vegetables every day to make sure they are fully submerged in the water. If they have risen above the water, simply push them down so they are fully covered by the water. If any white spots formed because the veggies rose above the water, do not worry. Remember, this isn’t harmful. Just scoop out the vegetables that have the white spots on them and push the rest back under the water.