Blueberry Spinach Kraut
This kraut that tastes like blueberries is not only delicious but the juice is incredible too. When my kids were little they loved to take the juice when they were sick. They loved the flavor and it worked speedily to heal and help them recover. This pairs well with sprouted tortilla chips which are becoming more popular and there are several on the market now. I am loving Unbeatable Blue Tortilla Chips.
- ¼ teaspoon Cutting Edge Cultures – or ¼ cup Kefir Whey
- ½ cup cranberry or blueberry juice – You can use just cranberry juice or just blueberry juice.
- ½ head green cabbage – shredded or chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon Celtic Sea Salt
- 1 handful spinach – chopped or shredded
- 1 large shallot – chopped finely
- 1½ cups blueberries – fresh
- water – filtered
- Mix the Cutting Edge Culture or kefir whey into the cranberry and/or blueberry juice and mix well till culture package is dissolved.
- Place the shredded or chopped cabbage in a bowl and add the salt.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix together well. Firmly pack the mixture into glass canning jar, leaving an inch or two for the cabbage to expand when it ferments.
- Add the starter (or whey) to chopped vegetables and fill the jar with water, leaving an inch or two at the top.
- Seal jar tightly and let sit on your counter for 6 days, then place in refrigerator.
- I like the taste best after it has been in the fridge for a few weeks. It gets better with age and at 4 to 5 weeks it is super tasty.