Miracle Kraut Melt
I went to a wonderful restaurant in Denver and had a sandwich that was the inspiration for this recipe. Melted cheese and kraut is a genius combination! You can grill this open-faced so you can add the kraut after grilling and help preserve the the pro- biotics, however since the kraut is in the middle between the cheese, it still stays cool enough to not matter if you grill the pieces of bread together too. I’m so thankful I went to that restaurant. Not only did they have this sandwich, but they also had kombucha on tap and kimchi stew! It’s wonderful to see cultured foods popping up on menus around the country. People are starting to fall in love with fermentation—as they rightfully should! Get some good sourdough bread or make mine and give this sandwich a try, I promise you will love it!
Servings: 1 serving
Every ingredient with a link was selected by me to make it easier for you. I may receive a small affiliate commission if you buy something through my links. Thank you! ❤️
- Butter one side of each slice of bread, taking care to spread the butter to the very edges.
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat, then place the slices of bread in the skillet, buttered side down.
- Add half the cheese to each slice of bread.
- When the cheese is melted and the bread is lightly browned, remove both slices from pan and let them cool for a minute of two.
- Layer kraut on one slice, then place the other slice on top and press them together. Cut the sandwich in half and serve immediately. Garnish with parsley if so desired.