L. Reuteri Superfood Yogurt in a Sous Vide
- Sous Vide Precision Cooker (You'll also need a container.) Here is the one I use:
Every ingredient with a link was selected by me to make it easier for you. I may receive a small affiliate commission if you buy something through my links. Thank you! ❤️
Before you begin
- This recipe takes exactly 36 hours to ferment, so it's best to start either early morning or later in the evening. Otherwise, if you start at 3 in the afternoon, for example, you'll be having to get up 36 hours later at 3 am.
- Make sure the equipment you're using is able to maintain exactly 100°F for 36 hours.
- Make sure you're using Ultra Pasturized milk or you can also heat the milk to 195ºF / 90ºC and hold it there for 10 minutes if you can't find UHT milk. Then cool it down in the fridge or freezer till it gets back down to 100°F before adding the starter.
- Check out the Frequently Asked Questions about this starter.
- In a glass quart jar, mix 2 tablespoons of Prebio Plus with the contents of 1 sachet of LR Superfood Starter. (To reculture see below.)
- Place jars in a sous vide container and cover lightly with loose-fitting lids. Don't remove the lids during fermentation to avoid getting a discoloration of yellow or pink on the top of the yogurt. This is a harmless yeast that might affect the taste, so scrape it off the top of the yogurt before consuming it.
- When done, remove jars from the appliance, keep the lids loosely on jars, and refrigerate. If you tighten your lids while the yogurt is still warm, it may build up pressure and cause your glass jars to break. Once the yogurt has chilled in the fridge, then you can tighten the lids. This will keep in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.
Re-culturing using separated L reuteri yogurt
- To Reculture: If your first batch is separated into whey and curds and looks like the picture, then you can use 1 tablespoon of the whey and 1 tablespoon of the curds to make a new batch that will have little or no separation. You also should use two tablespoons of Prebio Plus when reculturing. Then follow steps 2-7.