Cultured Vegetables Without a Culture
Every ingredient with a link was selected by me to make it easier for you. I may receive a small affiliate commission if you buy something through my links. Thank you! ❤️
- Remove outer leaves of cabbage.
- Shred cabbage into desired length.
- You can use a food processor or by hand.
- Add salt and toss with cabbage to combine evenly.
- Pack cabbage into a half gallon jugs with a clamp down lid or an airlock or canning jar.
- Cover with water.
- Leave 2 to 3 inches for kraut to expand.
- Set in a cool place, out of sunlight for 6 to 7 days.
- Check the vegetables every day to make sure they are fully submerged in the water. If they have risen above the water, simply push them down so they are fully covered by the water. If any white spots formed because the veggies rose above the water, do not worry. Remember, this isn’t harmful. Just scoop out the vegetables that have the white spots on them and push the rest back under the water.
- After 6 days place in the refrigerator.
- They will last at least 9 months or longer in your fridge.