Cultured Broccoli Salad in a Jar
This is a fun way to culture your broccoli. If you like broccoli salad made with raisins and carrots, you will love this. Just take it out of the jar and mix it with some of my Kombucha Mayo (recipe in my book Cultured Food in a Jar). You can also just use it as a topping for your salad. Add a head of fresh lettuce to a bowl, scoop out these veggies, and serve with your favorite dressing.
- If using the starter culture, stir together the culture and water. Let the mixture sit while you prepare the ingredients—around 10 minutes. If using kefir whey, add it when the recipe calls for culture.
- Add the broccoli florets, carrots, red onion, raisins, grapes, lemon juice, and salt to a ½ gallon canning jar or vessel.
- Add the lemon juice, Cutting Edge Culture or kefir whey, and cover with water, leaving an inch or two at the top.
- Seal the container and let it sit on your kitchen counter out of direct sunlight, for 3 days, then place in the fridge.
- Check the vegetables every day to make sure they are fully submerged in the water. If they have risen above the water, simply push them down so they are fully covered by the water. If any white spots formed because the veggies rose above the water, do not worry. Remember, this isn’t harmful. Just scoop out the vegetables that have the white spots on them and push the rest back under the water.
Storage note: This can be kept in a covered airtight jar in the refrigerator for up to nine months.