- 1-2 cups organic plain coffee grounds – depending on how strong you like your coffee
- 12 cups Water spring or filtered with minerals
- 1 cup sugar – regular, or Sucanat
- 1 cup Kombucha – and 1 SCOBY
Every ingredient with a link was selected by me to make it easier for you. I may receive a small affiliate commission if you buy something through my links. Thank you! ❤️
- Boil 3 quarts of water, add sugar, and stir until dissolved.
- Add the ground coffee, either in a tea bag or straight to your pot.
- Turn off heat and let brew for 20-30 minutes
- Strain coffee through a strainer with a coffee filter into your brewing vessel once it has cooled. (Straining is not necessary if you have used a tea bag.)
- Once the coffee mixture has cooled, add the kombucha and SCOBY to the brewing vessel.
- Cover the jar with a linen or cloth towel, secured with a tight rubber band.
- Allow the jar to sit undisturbed at room temperature, out of direct sunlight, for 5 to 10 days. Warmer houses above 70 degrees will take closer to 5 days.
- Once the Coffee Kombucha suits your taste, pour the mixture into bottles, leaving a bit of headspace at the top of each bottle.
- Clamp the caps closed, and transfer the bottles to the refrigerator, reserving 1 cup of the Coffee Kombucha for making the next batch.
- A note on future batches: When you make your successive batches, you can use one cup of the Coffee Kombucha instead of the original kombucha. This will give it even more kick.