How to Make Kombucha
Gather Your Materials
- Gallon Jar or non-lead-based crock.
- Linen or cloth napkin that will fit completely over top of jar or crock
- Rubber band to go around neck of jug or crock
- 1 cup raw sugar or white sugar — Check out these options.
- 4 to 5 tea bags: black or green tea, organic is best
- 3 quarts filtered water, not distilled
- 1 cup kombucha starter tea and 1 SCOBY
- Five 16-ounce bottles (thick bottles made for brewing) to store kombucha in
- Heating element (optional but highly recommended)
Okay! Let's Make Kombucha!
Here is how you make kombucha the wonder tea! Scroll through all my pictures, and take a look at the day-by-day slideshow on step 11. Check out my timelapse video too! Happy fermenting!
Watch How to Make It
Servings: 3 Quarts
- 1 cup sugar - raw sugar or white sugar — Check out these options.
- 4 - 5 tea bag - you can use black or green — Check out these options. Note: 1 teaspoon of loose tea is the equivalent of 1 tea bag.
- 3 quarts Water - filtered, not distilled
- 1 cup Kombucha Starter - This will have a kombucha scoby and 1 cup of already made kombucha tea.
- Place a heating strip around your jar. (optional, but highly recommended) Allow to sit undisturbed in a well ventilated place away from direct sunlight (temp. 65-85 degrees F.) for 6 - 15 days.
- You will notice that a new culture, or "scoby" will begin to form. Scroll through all my pictures, and take a look at the day-by-day slideshow!