Chocolate Cherry Sourdough Bread
This is the bread I make during the holidays. If you have leftovers it makes fabulous french toast. If it lasts that long! You will love the taste of chocolate and the tartness of the fruit. It's fun to make and boy, does the house smell great!
Servings: 1 loaf
- Place the starter and water in a bowl along with honey in a heavy-duty electric mixer or a large bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients.
- Mix with dough hook (or knead by hand) for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add dried cherries and mix again about 2 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let rise in a warm place for about 5 hours or until double in size.
- Punch dough down and shape into a round loaf or 2 small loaves in the shape of your choice.
- Place in loaf pans or baking dish. (I used a large souffle dish)
- Cover with a cloth and let rise 1½ to 2 more hours
- Bake at 425°F for about 40 to 45 minutes or until crust is a dark brown.