- 1/4 teaspoon Cutting Edge Starter Culture – plus 1/2 cup water, or 1/4 cup Kefir Whey (page 57)
- 1/2 small head cabbage green
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/2 cup Buffalo Wing Sauce – you can use your favorite store bought version
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chives – chopped
- 1 tablespoon Celtic Sea Salt
- blue cheese crumbles
Every ingredient with a link was selected by me to make it easier for you. I may receive a small affiliate commission if you buy something through my links. Thank you! ❤️
- If using the starter culture, stir together the culture and water. Let the mixture sit while you prepare the other ingredients—around 10 minutes.
- Remove and discard the outer leaves of the cabbage. Shred the cabbage and place it in a bowl. Then chop the celery into small pieces and mix it with the cabbage.
- Mix in the buffalo sauce, onion powder, salt and chives until well combined. Put the mixture in a jar.
- Add the culture and fill the container with filtered water, leaving 2 inches of headspace to let the vegetables bubble and expand as they ferment.
- Seal the container and let it sit on your kitchen counter, out of direct sunlight, for 6 days.
- Check the kraut every day to make sure it is fully submerged. If it has risen above the water, simply push it down so it is fully covered again. If white spots of yeast have formed on any unsubmerged kraut, do not worry. Remember, this isn’t harmful. Just scoop out the yeast and kraut it’s on and push the rest back under the water.
- When the kraut is done fermenting, place it in the refrigerator.
- Serve with a small amount of blue cheese crumbles.