“A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.”~ Benjamin Franklin
Many of you write me and ask how you can encourage friends and family to eat these foods. Like you, I notice how sick our loved ones are and want to help them but they don’t always want to listen. This is something that has happened to me many, many times and I finally discovered that words don’t teach, but life experience is the best teacher of all. For many years people thought I was crazy for eating and making these foods. I didn’t care, for I had gone from hoping they would work, to believing, and then to a strong knowing that they would work. Nothing in the whole wide world could now convince me that these foods aren’t powerful medicine that will heal and make well all who consume them. I double dog dare you to try and prove me wrong – it’s just not gonna happen. I gave up trying to convince people and I now let my own life teach as an example. Once I did this, the people who were ready to hear my message found me.
Let me tell you a story. When I first starting blogging a few years ago, I found out that other bloggers can be less than kind. I was told that the message of my site and blogs was not really a message that people would receive easily, and that I should add other things besides cultured foods to my site. They put me down a little as to being naive and a new blogger, but I decided that they did not understand what I knew and it didn’t matter if they liked me or not. I was gonna turn the other cheek and do my thing and watch and see what would happen. I had to hold to my truth because they weren’t making and eating these foods and they could not possibly have the knowledge that I had, nor could they love it like I did. Other foods are great, but cultured foods are the quintessential superfoods of all time. Passed down since time began, to preserve and keep food safe, they had survived and they had found their way to me and made me well. So I was not going to water down my message, because I knew what these people did not. All of those who didn’t believe in me have come full circle and are teaching classes on cultured foods on their sites. It’s fun to watch and see, but you know what? When you really love something and completely believe in the benefits of it and have lived it – the people who are seeking what you know will find you. It is my motto. I don’t fight my own battles, I just live it in front of them. I watch those around me get better and those naysayers come to believe, and I know that one single life lived in love and truth and with all the gusto one can muster can change this world. It just takes one person to find hope and it will spread.
Don’t try and convince your friends. Just consume these foods yourself and your light will start to shine so brightly it will make them want to know what has happened to you. Then you, like me, will stop being of afraid of being sick, for you will know wellness so clearly that nothing can shake you. You will know that if you do experience something, your body can handle it and help you heal or not get sick at all. It’s an extraordinary way to live and you will stick out like a sore thumb . . . and those who need your truth will ask you for help.
I have created a new recipe that I call Wisdom Kraut. Most think these are just vegetables, but this jar holds all kinds of wisdom. You see, they are finding that not only are cultured foods loaded with tons of vitamins C, minerals, and probiotics galore, but they can actually remove the pesticides on vegetables that are not organic. They are also finding that they help and prevent cancers. Could you ask for anything more than that? It makes me love cultured veggies even more than I already did. They are wise and were put on this earth to help us. All you have to do is make and eat them.
If you are reading my blog, then you want to know about these foods. And as the old saying goes…when the student is ready – the teacher appears.
- Place veggie starter culture in a glass cup or jar with the ½ cup of apple juice. Stir until dissolved, or if using kefir whey add to the apple juice, then let it sit while you chop your vegetables. The sugar will be consumed quickly by the bacteria cultures, so there is no need to worry about added sugar.
- Remove the skin from the butternut squash and then shred it or finely chop it.
- Shred the zucchini and onion.
- Place all in a bowl and add poultry seasoning and salt and toss to combine.
- Pack the shredded veggie mixture into a one gallon jar or the equivalent of four quart-size containers. You can use glass or ceramic containers that can be securely sealed.
- Add Caldwell’s Starter Culture (or kefir whey) to vegetables.
- Add water to fill the jar but make sure the veggies are packed tightly, leaving 2 inches of headspace to let the veggies bubble and expand as they ferment.
- Seal the containers and let them sit on your kitchen counter, out of direct sunlight, for 3 days.
- Check the vegetables every day to make sure they are fully submerged in the juice and water. If they have risen above the juice, simply push them down so they are fully covered by the juice. If any mold formed because the veggies rose above the juice, do not worry. Remember, this isn’t harmful. Just scoop out the moldy vegetables and push the rest back under the juice.
- The veggies will be a bit fizzy and sour when ready. Place them in the refrigerator.
- These will last 9 months in your fridge.