Red Wine Vinegar
Once you make your own vinegar, you'll always want to keep a crock culturing on your counter.
Servings: 5 cups
- 1-1/2 cups red wine vinegar with mother - I use the Eden brand with the mother
- 4-1/2 cups red wine
- Place the vinegar and the wine in a crock or jar make sure the crock does not have lead based paint and is food grade. It should hold at least a gallon with enough extra room for air circulation.
- Cover the opening with a cloth or cotton tea towel. Place in a warm spot (68 to 70 F) for 1 to 2 months. Check it occasionally and sniff it. It will gradually take on a distinct vinegar smell and you will notice a slight film on the top.
- When the mixture taste and smells like vinegar pour a third and place it in airtight bottles.
- Save the culture and extra vinegar and replace with equal amounts of wine and start the process again. The process will take less time so check it often. Mine has been done as soon as two weeks.
- You can also bottle all of it and throw away the culture.