Lemonade Kefir Soda
I love this drink for breakfast. It's light and refreshing and perfect for summer or springtime. It loads you with vitamin C and gets your day off to a good start! You can substitute the orange juice for lemon juice in this recipe. I like to double the amount of orange juice making it 4 ounces and then add less water. It's becoming one of my very favorite recipes. 🍊🍋
Servings: 32 ounces
- Add a cup of warm water to a bowl and add the sugars to dissolve. Add lemon juice and make sure the liquid is at room temp
- Pour the mixture into a bottle, a funnel helps. (Make sure you use bottles such as Grolsch or Bormioli thick glass bottles. Bottles bought at craft stores can explode.)
- Fill the rest of the bottle with water leaving an inch of room at the top.
- Allow it to ferment for 2-5 days or until bubbly and fizzy. If your home is 75°F or warmer it will take usually 3-4 days. Colder homes can take a week or longer but you'll need to check it by popping the top and see if it's getting fizzy. It will start to bubble out the top if it does.
- When it's done, place it in the fridge right away. You can pour in a glass and enjoy right away but keep it stored in the fridge or it will explode. Consume within 1-2 weeks for the best flavor and most benefit.
- You can use ⅓ cup of this finished kefir soda as a starter to make a new bottle. Add the other ingredients and ferment again. It should only take a half to a full day to ferment. It ferments faster and you can make many bottles over and over again!
Make sure you use good bottles made for brewing. Check your bottles often by opening them so they don’t explode.