Homemade Apple Cider Vinegar
With only two ingredients and a little patience and you will have your own apple cider vinegar. It makes a wonderful holiday gift and the taste is quite addictive. I love making my own vinegar. It has a unique and wonderful flavor. My mother said she wanted to drink it straight from the bottle she loved it so much. Give it a whirl and make some for your mom too!
Servings: 5 cups
- 1-1/2 cups Bragg’s apple cider vinegar - It has to have the mother in it
- 4-1/2 cups apple cider - good quality
- Place the vinegar and the apple cider in a crock or jar. Make sure the crock does not have lead-based paint and is food grade. It should hold at least a gallon with enough extra room for air circulation.
- Cover the opening with a cloth or cotton tea towel. Place in a warm spot (68 to 70 F) for 1 to 2 months. Check it occasionally and sniff it. It will gradually take on a distinct vinegar smell and you will notice a slight film (the culture) on the top.
- When the mixture tastes and smells like vinegar, pour a third of your mixture into airtight bottles.
- Save the culture and remaining vinegar and replace the amount you bottled with fresh apple cider to start the process again. The process will take less time, so check it often. Mine has been done as soon as two weeks.
- You can also bottle all of it and throw away the culture.