Coconut Water Kefir
This recipe is made using water kefir crystals, which are different than milk kefir grains. You can use them again and again to make a lot of water kefir. We recommend switching back to feeding it with sugar water every couple of feedings. Coconut water can be a little acidic and hard on the grains if they’re continually left in coconut water.
Servings: 1 quart
- 1 quart coconut water – You can find coconut water in the Asian section of your grocery store or health food stores.
- 1-2 tablespoons Water Kefir Crystals
Every ingredient with a link was selected by me to make it easier for you. I may receive a small affiliate commission if you buy something through my links. Thank you! ❤️
- Allow to ferment for 24 hours. The coconut water will become slightly cloudy and fizzy/bubbly.
- Add your water kefir crystals to fresh coconut water and repeat the process (if desired).
- Then sit down and enjoy this delicious probiotic drink. Or refrigerate for later.
When making regular water kefir with sugar and water, you want to cover with a cloth and rubber band. But due to the low sugar content of the coconut water, you can use a tight lid. Also, make a note that the coconut water kefir made with the kefir crystals will sometimes form a clear thin SCOBY on top. You can discard this before you are ready to drink. It won’t hurt anything.