I talked about how to second ferment your kefir in an early blog. This expands on that philosophy.
To make second fermented Chai Kefir: (This is so yummy)
- Make your kefir normally and take the grains out.
- Place your kefir in a clamp down jar.
- Add a chai tea bag. You can also add a cinnamon stick with the tea bag to make it extra cinnamony
- Let your kefir sit on the counter for another 12 to 24 hours.
- Take out the tea bag (and cinnamon stick) and Enjoy! If you don’t want to drink it right away, place it in the refrigerator.
I like Tazo Chai tea bags. The flavor is great. Second fermenting your tea has great health benefits. It increases all the vitamins and makes it less sour. This is different from just letting your grains sit another day in the milk, which results in super soured kefir. Taking the grains out and letting it ferment with a flavoring such as orange or lemon peel or chai produces a wonderful mellower flavor with all the added health benefit.
- Chai Kefir Parfait
- ⅓ cup 2nd fermented chai kefir (see above)
- ⅓ cup of Nancy’s cultured cottage cheese or Kefir Cottage Cheese (This recipe is in my book)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pack of stevia
- Mix all ingredients together by hand or in food processor until smooth.
- Layer with your choice of toppings: Granola , pecans, toasted coconut, fruit, etc… Whatever you can dream up.
- Top with whipped cream.