Watch How to Make It
- ¼ teaspoon Cutting Edge Cultures – or ½ cup kefir whey
- 1 small head green cabbage
- 2 whole carrots
- 1 whole jalapeno – seeded, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 onion – small
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano – you can use regular oregano too
- ½ tablespoon chili lime seasoning
- ½ tablespoon Celtic Sea Salt
Every ingredient with a link was selected by me to make it easier for you. I may receive a small affiliate commission if you buy something through my links. Thank you! ❤️
- If using Cutting Edge Starter Culture, place ½ cup water in a glass measuring cup. Then add the culture and stir until dissolved. Let the mixture sit while you chop your vegetables—anywhere between 5 and 15 minutes. If using Kefir Whey, add it when the recipe calls for culture in step 4.
- Remove the outer leaves and the core from the cabbage, and shred or chop the rest. Place the cabbage in a large bowl.
- Shred or chop the carrots and onion, and add them to the bowl, along with the jalapeno.
- Add vegetables to the bowl along with the red pepper flakes, oregano, chili lime salt, and Celtic Sea Salt. Combine all ingredients well.
- Transfer the vegetable mixture to a half gallon glass or ceramic container that can be securely sealed and add the culture or kefir whey.
- Press down firmly on the vegetables, then cover the vegetables with filtered water, leaving at least 2 inches of headroom at the top of the container.
- Seal the container and let it sit on your counter, out of direct sunlight, for 6 days.
- Check the vegetables every day to make sure they stay fully submerged in water. If they have risen above the water, simply push them down so they are fully covered by the water. If any white yeast formed because the veggies rose above the water, do not worry. Remember, this isn’t harmful. Just scoop out the vegetables that have molded and push the rest under the water.
- After 6 days, place the vegetables in your refrigerator where they will last many months perfectly preserved.