This is my favorite kefir soda. It is the mulling spices that make the taste something special. So much better for you than regular soda or holiday drinks. This has kefir cultures in it which gives your body probiotics, and consumes some of the sugar, so you get a delicious drink without tons of sugar. You don’t have to use cranberry peach juice. Pick any flavored juice you like; cranberry, apple, or pomegranate and just add the mulling spice tea bags, culture and water.
Kefir soda is so easy to make and gets super bubbly. Keep tabs on it, because it can get super carbonated. It calms down when you put it in the fridge. Open slowly and it is best to use clamp down bottles to let the carbonation escape naturally. Never use bottles that are not thick glass made for brewing. Be careful pulling out the tea bag when ready. It can tear and go into the soda. It taste like the holidays with the mulling spices, but I will be drinking this soda all year-long. I bought 2 boxes of mulling spice tea bags to make sure I had enough to last me through out the year. This way I can make the holidays last all year-long.
- 2 cups cranberry peach juice (I purchased this at whole foods)
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup fresh kefir whey or 1 kefir powder culture package
- I tea bag with Mulling spices or1 tsp of Mulling spices sealed in a tea bag. (I purchased this at whole foods but have also seen it at my regular grocery store by the apple cider.)
- Place kefir powder pack in 1 cup of the water and mix well.Then add to bottle.
- If using kefir whey instead of the powder packages add this to the bottle now.
- Add juice and rest of the water into a 1-liter bottle with a clamp down lid.
- Add the tea bag last and it will float at the top so you can remove it when you are done fermenting. Be careful pulling the tea bag out. It can rip and tear open.
- If you use the culture package let sit for 2 to 3 days or until bubbly and fizzy. If you use the kefir whey, it can take longer 2 to 5 days to become fizzy.
- You should check it by opening the lid and you will hear and see the fizz. Then it is ready. It should also not be overly sweet but a little tart.
- Then place in refrigerator.
- You can take ⅓ cup of this fermented soda mixture and add some more peach juice, water and Mullen spices and ferment again. It will ferment faster, usually in a day and sometimes even faster. I have even let it ferment in the fridge. If you use the Kefir culture packages you can do this up to 10 or more times or until it stops becoming fizzy. Then you will need another culture package.
- If using kefir whey you will have to add more kefir whey (fresh) each time.