Somebody asked me the other day how I come up with recipes for cultured foods? Many times they come suddenly into my brain. This will often make me miss my exits while driving on the highway because I am thinking about the specifics of how to make it. The one other way they come quite commonly is through a picture of food or a recipe I see, that follows me around playing like a tape in my head, until I give it some attention.
One particular day I had found a recipe on the internet for kefir ice cream that used kefir cheese. It kept bugging me day and night, wondering what it could possibly taste like. The thoughts of this followed me around like a little puppy licking at my heals. This is always a sign to me that something is trying to get my attention.
So I made myself some kefir cheese and then proceeded to make some ice cream with a large amount of kefir cheese as the base. Throwing different things in the blender haphazardly, I made up my own flavor. It was hands down best ice cream I had ever made. Super creamy and had that mouth feel of ice cream I had so been looking for. I became completely obsessed with kefir ice cream and spread my addiction to my friend Nancy, sharing my recipes and the secret of kefir cheese to make ice cream. She called me a week later and said, “What is going to happen to us if we keep having ice cream twice a day? We can’t stop eating it.” So, I made her a list of all the reasons to eat kefir ice cream everyday in hopes to keep this dream alive.
1. It was sugar free we used stevia.
2. It was wonderful to consume kefir everyday.
3. Our milk farmer would love us for ever because of all the milk and cream we were buying.
4.The endorphins we were creating by being so happy would make the world a better place.
5. Our children and husbands would think we were the coolest ever.
6. We could just make it our lunch everyday. It would be our secret. (Never been very good at keeping secrets. This is a fact. Ask my sisters; at Christmas time I always tell them what their gifts are way before they open them.)
Honestly, I think I make kefir ice cream at least 3 times a week, and I have it almost everyday. Ok.. sometimes twice a day. I am way past addicted, I am in love. Sometimes I find myself humming when I eat it. I might need to write a kefir ice cream book. I have so..many recipes. I sure do love my friend Kefir. I keep finding new ways to invent it.
Hopefully I can spread this addiction to you.
The secret? Kefir cheese makes the best ice cream!
Check out eight different ways to have kefir ice cream!
- ¾ cup kefir cheese ( you can also buy kefir cheese made by Greek Gods)
- 1 cup peanut butter, creamy or crunchy ( you can also substitute almond butter or macadamia nut butter for the peanut butter)
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Your choice of sweetener to taste (I use stevia. I like to use different version together - such as a liquid and powder version of stevia. When used together they seem to work better For a regular sweetener, honey, sucanat or coconut sugar are good choices. Add at least ¼ of a cup and more if you need it sweeter.)
- Taste before you make it to see if you need to add more.
- Mix all ingredients in a blender till blended, about 15 seconds.
- Pour mixture into ice cream freezer, and freeze according to manufactures instructions.
- Serve immediately or place in freezer.