Cocoa Kefir Krunch Puff Breakfast Video! 📹
Favorite Breakfast Topping
This is my daughter Holli's favorite breakfast. I make extra servings of the crunch topping and store it in a jar for her to use whenever she makes her morning smoothie. This was the recipe that really changed her more than any other recipe. My family is like everybody else. I can preach to them about how wonderful these foods are and make them for them, but I want them to discover for themselves the power of microbes. Life is the best teacher, and I want them to have the experience of finding foods that change them so they'll reach for them again and again without my insistence. Holli started noticing if she didn't have her morning smoothie she had trouble going to sleep at night, and she would get terrible breakouts. When she started seeing the change in her skin and sleep she started getting up every morning and making a smoothie without me encouraging her to do so. That was just the beginning of her love affair with cultured foods. Now, armed with kombucha, a kefir smoothie, and a few pieces of the cultured veggie Jicama if You're Sicka-ma every day, she has made herself a believer in the power of cultured foods. If she's not feeling well, she knows which foods work the best and reaches for them. Wanting my family to be healthy helps me create recipes I know they will love. I have always told my family that the food and recipes I create are my love made visible. This was one recipe I made mostly for Holli and I hope it will help you love cultured foods too.
This recipe has a crunchy millet topping. Have you ever tried millet? I only knew it as an ingredient in the bird food I use; but not long ago, I saw puffed millet at the health-food store. It was a cereal! I grabbed the box and turned it over to look at the ingredients and saw it had only one ingredient: millet. I started adding it to recipes—topping things with it—and my daughter Holli fell head over heels in love with it. Which is great because it’s gluten-free and has lots of magnesium.
If you can’t find puffed millet, there’s also puffed amaranth, which is almost the same texture. Or you can make your own, just like you would popcorn. All you have to do is put a cup of millet in a medium-sized saucepan with a lid, place it over medium-low heat, and shake it around every once in a while. Soon enough you’ll start to hear the grains popping. Once the popping begins, it takes about 15 to 20 seconds for all of it to pop. You’ll know when it’s done because the popping stops abruptly.
Check out the recipe and video, and love foods that love you back – and watch what happens. The microbes in cultured foods know how to keep you healthy, happy, and strong. Just you wait and see!
Cocoa Kefir Krunch Puff Breakfast
Watch How to Make It
- 1/2 cup Puffed Millet
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Cacao Nibs
- 2 cups frozen bananas, sliced into chunks - see note*
- 1 cup Basic Kefir
- 1 tablespoon Cocoa Powder - or cacao
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Stevia - Monk fruit is good too!
- 1 tablespoon Potato Starch
Every ingredient with a link was selected by me to make it easier for you. I may receive a small affiliate commission if you buy something through my links. Thank you! ❤️
- Take the bananas out of the freezer and let thaw for a few minutes if you don’t have a powerful high-speed blender.
- Place the puffed millet, maple syrup, cinnamon, and cacao nibs into a small frying pan. Stir until well combined, then turn up the heat to medium. Stir from time to time, toasting the mixture until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, transferring it into a bowl to cool.
- Combine the bananas, kefir, cocoa powder, vanilla, stevia, and potato starch in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy, much like ice cream. If you don’t have a high-powered blender, let the bananas thaw for a couple of minutes before you blend.
- Pour the banana-kefir mixture into a jar and top with the puffed millet mixture.
Are you on the list?
Sign up today and I'll send you my free Getting Started Guide!
Each week I'll send you updates, tips, recipes, and more! You might even be a winner of my weekly giveaway! (starter cultures, memberships, and more!)
Come be a part of my cultured food family!