Beet kvass is a fermented probiotic drink with many health benefits. I first made this drink back in 2012 to help my daughter heal her IBS and food allergies. One of the things we did was give her a cultured food with every meal, but she also had a probiotic drink with her meals too. She drank either beet kvass, coconut water kefir, or kombucha with lunch and dinner. Little did I know at the time, but food allergies are most often caused by missing bacteria in the gut (most likely killed by too many doses of antibiotics) and a lack of fermented probiotic foods in the diet. Restoring these bacteria with probiotic foods allowed her gut to heal and her food allergies were no more. This is something I have witnessed many times. More and more studies are confirming that the missing bacteria in the gut is the cause of most food allergies. I mostly gave her these fermented foods because they helped her digest her foods and stopped the pain she felt every time she ate. It was many years later that I discovered that they also replaced those missing bacteria and that was why all her food allergies went away in less than a year. Learn more about this in the link below.
7 Reasons to Love Beets
Beets are powerful root vegetables and have many surprising health benefits. Ferment these beets and you'll receive even more benefits. This is an easy and fun probiotic drink.
- Beets are one of the few vegetables that contain phytonutrients known as betalains. These give beets their red color. They have strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant qualities.
- Beets also have the amino acid Tryptophan which, along with betalain, can help relax the mind and provide a sense of well-being.
- Betaine is a nutrient made from the B-complex vitamin choline. It is also a valuable nutrient in beets. It can stimulate the function of liver cells, protecting the liver from disease. The natural probiotics in beet kvass can help support your liver and kidneys in detoxification.
- Beets have the mineral silica which helps the body utilize calcium. Silica helps with mineral balance in the bones, helps to reduce the risk of osteoporosis, and can boost bone strength.
- Beet kvass is especially helpful for digestion which is often taxed when people struggle with any kind of food allergy. It also helps to cleanse the blood and helps with chemical sensitivities, allergies, and digestive problems.
- Beets are rich in natural chemicals called nitrates. Through a chain reaction, your body changes nitrates into nitric oxide, which helps with blood flow and blood pressure. They can decrease the risk of heart disease and may help in the prevention of various cancers, and are also good for the eyes and skin.
- The nitric oxide produced in beets can also help muscles work more efficiently, increasing energy and stamina.
3 Different Beet Kvass Recipes
Beet kvass has an earthy taste and doesn't have a lot of flavor. I like a more tangy-tart flavor, so I made several versions of beet kvass with the addition of oranges and lemon peel and it gives this health-promoting drink a unique flavorful combination. Find your favorite version!
Listen To My Podcast
Beets are powerful root vegetables and have many surprising health benefits. Ferment these beets and you'll receive even more benefits. This is an easy and fun probiotic drink. Tune in to get the recipes and understand the benefits.
Are you on the list?
Sign up today and I'll send you my free Getting Started Guide!
Each week I'll send you updates, tips, recipes, and more! You might even be a winner of my weekly giveaway! (starter cultures, memberships, and more!)
Come be a part of my cultured food family!