Heirloom Yogurt Starters
A collection of mesophilic heirloom yogurt starters that can be cultured right on your counter at room temperature, so it’s easy to make these re-usable varieties.
- Each box contains 2 packets of each culture: Viili, Filmjölk, Piimä, and Matsoni (see more below).
- Activate 1 packet using 1-2 cups pasteurized milk (store second packet in the freezer as a backup).
- Cultures on the countertop at room temperature, 70º-77ºF, no appliance required.
- Suitable for use with pasteurized whole milk and with raw dairy milk, or non-dairy milk with special care.
- Avoid ultra-pasteurized or UHT milk.
- Reusable culture: a small amount of each batch can be used to make the next batch to reculture from batch to batch indefinitely.
Heirloom Starter Cultures Included in the Box
- Viili Starter Culture (5200): A Finnish yogurt variety, Viili is very mild and creamy, with a fairly thick consistency. It’s a versatile favorite that’s perfect on its own or in any yogurt recipe.
- Filmjölk Starter Culture (5201): Another Finnish variety, Filmjölk has a tangy flavor reminiscent of cheese and a custard-like texture. It’s great with fresh fruit or over pie. Kids love it!
- Matsoni Starter Culture (5202): Matsoni, from The Republic of Georgia, has a thin, custard-like texture with notes of honey. Its flavor is the most “yogurty” and is a popular choice for frozen yogurt.
- Piimä Starter Culture (5203): Piimä, a Scandinavian variety, is very thin and drinkable with a mild flavor. Culture it with cream instead of milk to make a tasty sour cream-like topping.
Which packet is which?
On the instructions page, each yogurt will have a SKU number below the name of the yogurt, and each packet will have a corresponding number.
All the culture packets have a SKU. Viili is 5200, Filmjolk 5201, Matsoni 5202, and Piima 5203.
Ingredients and Allergen Information
- Organic milk, live active cultures.
- This product contains no GMO ingredients.
- Manufactured in a facility that also produces products containing soy and dairy.
- Gluten free
Our Heirloom starter cultures are shipped in a barrier-sealed packet as a freeze-dried yogurt culture. The starter keeps:
- At room temperature (68° to 77°F): 3 to 4 months
- In the refrigerator (40° to 45°F): 9 months unopened
- In the freezer (0° to 25°F): 12 months unopened
Actual product may differ from image shown above.
All of our starters are sensitive to excessive heat. Once your order has shipped, an e-mail with tracking information will be sent to you. Please use the tracking information to anticipate the arrival of your items so they can be retrieved from the mail-box and stored in the refrigerator promptly.
|Dimensions||8 × 1 × 6 in|