L. Reuteri Yogurt Made with Almond Milk
Every ingredient with a link was selected by me to make it easier for you. I may receive a small affiliate commission if you buy something through my links. Thank you! ❤️
Before you begin
- This recipe takes exactly 36 hours to ferment. So it's best to start either early morning or later in the evening. Otherwise, if you start at 3 in the afternoon, for example, you'll be having to get up 36 hours later at 3 am.
- Make sure the equipment you're using is able to maintain exactly 100°F for 36 hours.
- In a glass bowl or quart jar add the guar gum and Prebio Plus to the Almond Milk and blend for about a minute, until the texture is uniform and resembles heavy cream. (We do this to dissolve the powder, and for even distribution of the milk)
- Stir in the LR Superfood Starter with a whisk or spoon. Mix well for even distribution. Do not blend.
- Place in jars and cover lightly with a loose-fitting lids. Ferment at 100°F for 36 hours, away from the airflow of air vents/heaters/air conditioning, etc. Do not stir while fermenting.Don't remove the lids to avoid getting a discoloring of yellow or pink on the top of the yogurt. This is a harmless yeast that can happen during fermentation but could affect the taste, so scrape it off the top of the yogurt before consuming it.
- When done, remove jars from the appliance, keep the lids loosely on jars, and refrigerate. If you tighten your lids while the yogurt is still warm, it may build up pressure and cause your glass jars to break. Once the yogurt has chilled in the fridge, then you can tighten the lids.
- This will keep in the fridge for up to 4 weeks. Separation is normal with plant based milk, but you should still see a thick curd and the whey is really good for you as well.
- To Reculture: To make a new batch, repeat these instructions, but use 2 tablespoons of a previous batch of your cultured L. reuteri Almond milk Yogurt as your starter. If your first batch is separated into whey and curds, then you can use 1 tablespoon of the whey and 1 tablespoon of the curds to make a new batch that will have little or no separation. You also should use two tablespoons of Prebio Plus when reculturing.