What is pepperpot? One of the best known and loved foods of the island, pepperpot is based on a traditional West African dish. This vegetable rich version uses salmon instead of sea bass but both are great. You can also leave out the salmon and make this a vegetarian dish.
I have been making this soup for 15 years. It is super easy and the taste is like nothing you ever tried before. The coconut milk adds a delicious island taste. The yellow squash and sweet potato make the color of the soup beautiful and delicious. You basically chop everything and throw it in the pot to simmer.
- 2 cups of vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- 1 pound of sweet potatoes or yams
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 medium carrots sliced on diagonal
- 1 sorona chile or other hot pepper diced
- 1 pound of salmon (optional)
- 2 medium yellow squash cubed
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- In a large pot bring broth and first 7 ingredients to a boil lower heat cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add the rest of ingredients and cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes more.