These are my new favorite cultured veggies. I made them and forgot about them in the back of my fridge. I found them five weeks later, and wow are they good. Even my 10-year-old likes these, and she is super picky. I ate an entire quart in about a week, slurping down the extra juice in the bottom of the jar because it was so good.
It is sweet and sour and has such a unique flavor. I am glad I forgot about it because it aged like a fine wine.
My daughter Holli, woke up with a sore throat one morning, and I gave her a spoonful of these veggies. Later that evening I asked her how her throat was. She had gone to a car show with her brother and dad and was out in the bitter cold, and I was worried that she would feel worse when she came home. She said, ” It stopped hurting after you gave me the cultured veggies.” Millions of probiotics in a small spoonful of these veggies. Little things like cultured foods can make a big difference when you body is fighting a virus. Helps you body do what it is supposed to do naturally. Boost your immune system to help you overcome colds and flu’s.
When in doubt always choose sprouted chips, breads, nuts or beans. It unlocks the nutrients and delivers more to your cells than it was prior to sprouting. Sprouted is the best, always!
- ½ head green cabbage shredded or chopped finely
- 1 tbsp organic Herbamare seasoning (you can just use salt if you don’t have this)
- One handful of spinach chopped or shredded
- 1 large shallot chopped finely
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup cranberry blueberry juice (You can use just cranberry juice or just blueberry juice too.)
- Filtered water
- 1- Caldwell cultured package or 1/4 cup of kefir whey
- Place the shredded or chopped cabbage in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. You can also layer it in the jars instead of mixing.
- Add the next 3 ingredients and mix well. Firmly pack the mixture into a glass-canning jars, splitting it evenly between the two, leaving an inch or two for the cabbage to expand when it ferments.
- Mix the veggie culture or kefir whey into the cranberry blueberry juice and mix will till culture package is dissolved.
- Add this starter to chopped vegetables in jars and fill the jars with water, leaving and inch or two at the top.
- Seal jars tightly and let sit on your counter for 6 days and then place in refrigerator.
- I like the taste best after it has been in the fridge for a few weeks. It gets better with age and at 4 to 5 weeks it is super tasty.